Friday, April 15, 2011

Green Thumb

I'm so excited! We are about to turn our bland and boring patio into a beautiful place to relax! With the help of a great friend, who is also a designer, we are going to bring it all to life!!!

Our first step was cleaning it off and getting it all ready for our new bistro set. We found a really nice one at Home Depot and have already enjoyed sitting at in the mornings with our coffee, and in the evenings with our tasty beverages!

Step two started today. My great friend Audrey came over and checked out our patio. She measured to see how much room we had to work with and offered up her ideas. She knows that we want flowers that have a beautiful fragrance, as well as fillers for look. I really want eye catching stuff that I can photograph! (Yep, I'm always thinking with my camera!)

So after seeing her photo boards, with her ideas of great flowers that will do good in our CA climate, we drove across the street to check out some flowers.  I am really clueless when it comes to what to plant. I love photographing flowers, but I have never grown any. She was really great at pointing out how to pick flowers. She is a HUGE help! No big purchases yet but the wheels are sure spinning!

I did make my first green purchase though!! My husband and I both love the smell of Gardenia, but our small patio doesn't make for much room to have a big Gardenia bush. Luckily though, on our way out, she spotted these small Gardenia's that would be perfect on our patio. She found one with 3 buds and said that was the one to buy. So I did! I have it sitting on our bistro table at the moment. It will soon be joined by many beautiful flowers and set inside a window box that we will strap to the railing on our balcony. I am so excited and can't wait for the day when we have color and fragrance out on our patio!

So here is my new baby that I must nurture, so it will grow:





Oh yeah, did I mention how great Audrey is?! Well she is the BEST and I am so thankful to have her in my life!!!

1 comment: